This is one of the simplest ways to build your tone on the violin. It even works with viola, cello, and bass. So what you want to keep in mind:
- the bow needs to be placed gently on the string at the frog (bottom of the bow).
- then pull the bow gently watching that the string resonates (wiggles really fast).
- then circle back to the middle of the bow!
- keep the bow off the fingerboard and use as much of it as you can.
- start by doing 5 bow circles per string, then every week keep adding 1 more bow circle per string.
- after 2 weeks you can experiment with slower and faster bow circles.
- you can even do bow circles up bow