Congratulations on learning the Twinkles, so let's get to Lightly Row. As a parent working with your child or as a student it is easy to feel like you do not know how to approach a new song. Whether you are a violinist, violist, cellist, or bassist, here are some tips to help you learn this song:
- Playing Position: Prepare the playing position before starting the song.
- Structure: The order is part 1 (first line), part 2 (second line), part 3 (third line), part 2 (fourth line).
- Warm-up with the bow exercises.
- Listen to the song one time before playing it. So pop in that c.d. or watch the video above!
- The song introduces more hops from string to string (called string crosses). Play the first measure (E, C#, C#) with the Twinkle rhythms, this will make playing the E and C# easier. Now, play the first measure the way it is written in the book.
- Go through the same process for the second measure and any other notes that are tricky for you.
- Beware of just getting through the piece, the best way to learn a song is to master it in small chunks.
- Play along with the Youtube video above.
- Play through all the Twinkles and Lightly Row.
These are just a few ideas, get creative and try the song in different ways!